Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Forbes

We have been pretty busy over the past week so there is a lot to catch up on....

Firstly we went from Dubbo to Forbes (April 27th) where most of my family is from originally and we were very fortunate to have a personally guided tour by Jeanie Forbes one of my relatives. It was amazing to hear first hand stories and to have personal attachments to so many places where Jeanie, Nana, my great grandmother, my father and my grand father had lived. We got to drive the streets and see where each family member use to live and I got to see the street - Thomson street where my great grandmother lived and named after her family. Jeanie also took us to the cemetery to see her grave and where my great auntie Edna's ashes are. It was very touching.

Jeanie then took us onto meet a wonderful lady - Ena and to tour her amazing property. She had her main house at the front of her property but down the back was the farm house that she grew up in. She had moved it from her families original property board by board. She had named and numbered each one and rebuilt it in it's old charm. Absolutely amazing and a wonderful treasure. Each room is furnished the way it was and she has everything from the old washing machine to the radio in the family room to the outhouse built outback!

After visiting Ena's house we went to the Vandenberg hotel in Forbes for lunch where Jeanie's daughter is the cook, and I'm not being biased in saying it was one of the best pub meals I've ever had!! What a great pub, an absolute must if your visiting Forbes.

Thanks once again Jeanie for being a wonderful hostess, hopefully we'll see you again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment